West Haldimand General Hospital is asking the public to consider their health care options
Due to staff shortages at hospitals across the province and at West Haldimand General Hospital (WHGH), we are asking the public to consider their health care options before presenting to an emergency department.
The ongoing staff shortages are difficult for everyone. If you require care, please consider which option is right for you.
Emergency Departments are always available for emergencies, and if you are experiencing a medical emergency, please visit your nearest Emergency Department or call 911.
Please be aware that there are other health care options in our community. Unless a person is experiencing a medical emergency, the following resources should be considered before visiting an emergency department:
Consider one of the following options:
- A family doctor, for health concerns that can wait a day or more.
- If you have a minor ailment such as a urinary tract infection or need a prescription refill, visit your local pharmacist.
- A sore throat, earache, or rash could be treated at a local walk-in clinic. Walk-in clinics can offer patients same-day appointments to treat non-urgent and minor illnesses and ailments. You can find walk-in clinic locations in Haldimand-Norfolk here: https://www.hnhbhealthline.ca/listservicesdetailed.aspx?id=10072®ion=HaldimandNorfolk
- Cold or flu symptoms, sinus infections, and other common medical conditions can be treated, through Health Connect Ontario. Visit https://healthconnectontario.health.gov.on.ca/static/guest/home for more information. This on-demand service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- If you need health care advice or are unsure about your medical issue, you can contact Telehealth Ontario at 1-866-797-0000, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to speak with a Registered Nurse.
WHGH will continue to treat emergency, critical and urgent cases as quickly as possible.
Please be kind to your health care workers, who are working to provide care under challenging circumstances.