In 1959 a group of community members formed a committee to plan the building of a community hospital and their dream was realized when The West Haldimand General Hospital opened on March 1st, 1964 on a ten-acre property donated by the Hunter family. At that time the hospital consisted of the ground floor and floor II. In 1967 floor III was added to increase the complement of beds to more than 70. In 1983 the Emergency Department was renovated and updated to its current state and the Health Care Centre was added on the north end of the hospital. The Health Care Centre was built to accommodate physician practices, and other health care programs.
In 2005 the Haldimand Family Health Team was established and leased a large part of the Health Care Centre for its Hagersville operation.
Currently, the hospital hosts a 24-hour Emergency Department, Laboratory, Diagnostic Imaging (X-ray, ultrasound and mammography); 23 acute care medical beds; in-hospital pharmacy services; inpatient and outpatient physiotherapy; outpatient surgical services and a range of outpatient clinics within the Ambulatory Care Centre including a Diabetes Program, administered through the Haldimand-Norfolk Regional Diabetes Program.