West Haldimand General Hospital is a small rural community hospital providing basic hospital and health care services to the people of Hagersville, Cayuga, Caledonia, Fisherville, Selkirk, Townsend, Jarvis, The Six Nations of the Grand River Reserve and the Mississaugas of the New Credit First nations Reserve, and surrounding areas.
WHGH is one of the first hospitals to pursue creating innovative partnerships. The results of our efforts are increased efficiencies and reduced costs. At the present time, we are successfully partnering Noroflk General Hospital and Hamilton Health Sciences. System.
- open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- staffed with qualified nursing and medical staff
- equipped for virtually any emergency with a trauma room and monitored heart beds
- providers of on-site lab and x-ray services
- able to transfer patients by helicopter or ambulance for specialized care at Hamilton, London or Toronto hospitals
- providers of surgical day care
- providers of palliative care - caregiver support
- equipped with an ambulatory Care department, providing other specialty clinics, ie:Audiology; Chiropody; Internal Medicine; Gastroenterology; Paediatrics; Orthopedics; Gynecology; Rheumatology; General Surgery; Psychogeriatrician.
Help us help you by bringing your provincial Health Card and a list of your current medications.
West Haldimand Emergency Department services patients with a variety of injuries and illnesses. All are welcome but the most seriously ill patient is treated first. This is referred to as "triage".When you come in, the nurse will assess your condition "triage" before you register. The following terms might be used:
Patient's condition is imminent of deterioration and requires immediate aggressive intervention to restore or preserve life or limb.
This is where the term AEmergency@ comes from. An injury or illness that may be life threatening and requires immediate medical treatment.
Example: Chest pains indicating a possible heart attack.
An injury or illness requiring early treatment. The nurse will assess your condition and inform the doctor. However, you may have to wait before being examined, depending on the number of people ahead of you and the emergencies that may come up.
Example: fever, abdominal pains.
Your condition is not considered serious. You will be treated by the doctor on duty when time permits. Example: Cold symptoms, dressing change.
Your doctor has scheduled you for an appointment for a specific procedure to be done in the ER. It may be necessary to reschedule, depending on the activity in the department.